Little One

Can I put baby powder on my cat?

My cat goes outside during the day. He comes in at night. He keeps going under the cars in the driveway. As a result he gets oil on his back and head. He stinks like oil and looks greasy. I wondered if I could put baby powder on him to absorb the oil and make him smell better.

Asked by Little One on Jan 26th 2010 Tagged babypowder in Home Grooming

Best Answer

If you mix baby powder with the oil, you'll wind up with a bigger mess on his fur than was there originally. I know you can't bathe him every day, but I was wondering if you got some baby wipes if that wouldn't take at least some of the oil off. There is also dry shampoo that I've seen at Petsmart that you sprinkle on and then comb out.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jan 26th.

Answers

Harvey

I've heard of some breeders using cornstarch to fluff up their cats' tails during cat shows. But baby wipes (actually, there are pet wipes available) and dry shampoo seem like a better idea for your cat. Also, if he'll tolerate it, the occasional shampoo is not a bad idea. You can use something called Groomer's Goop (for pets, not the usual Goop) to get out the grease, and wash with dish detergent. I do that when I give my cats show baths, and it's both safe and effective. Just make sure to rinse for at least 5 minutes to get out any lingering shampoo that will just attract more grease. There are also special grease cutting shampoos, but I don't know if they're available at your local pet store. I get mine at cat shows or over the Internet. House of Jerob makes a good one.

Harvey answered on 1/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bree

Baby powder isn't healthy for humans, its known to cause cancer. This being said, I am quite certain it isn't safe for a furry baby either. Cornstarch would be a much safer bet, however I suspect that will just create a clumpy nasty mess for you. Is it possible he's cold? That could be one explanation for him being under the car. Perhaps try a pet sweater on him, at the very least, it leaves you with a small piece of fabric to wash and with any luck will have him smelling better when he comes in for the evening.

Bree answered on 1/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer