Can I give my cats rawhide dog chews? Is there a good cat chew out there?

My cats love to chew things like pencils and cardboard boxes. I want to know if it is ok to give them a chew made for dogs so they have a healthy alternative.

Asked by Member 548127 on Dec 19th 2007 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Lakoda

My cats have stolen the rawhide chews from the dogs, and I've never had a problem. Teething kittens like to chew them sometimes.

If you decide to buy some - please be sure they are only American Made. Such as Mother Hubbards. The ones sold in the Dollars Stores, and other places are made in Asia Pacific and have been known to contain arsenic.

Lakoda answered on Dec 19th.

Answers

Jack

I would under no circumstances give my cat a rawhide chew. They splinter too easily.

I give my "chewer" (Jack) Virbac Cat Chews. I get them from my vet. That being said, I do let Jack chew cardboard (like his scratchy box or a spare box) and according to my vet, it doesn't hurt a cat as long as you remove the labels and tape on the outside. The adhesive/glue from the labels/tape can make them sick.

Be sure to let your vet know your cats are chewers. They may need a dental checkup. Sometimes cats chew when their mouths hurt. It's always a good idea to have your vet look at their mouths to make sure they don't have any preexisting issues.

Jack answered on 12/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Beke enjoys using a toothbrush, with medium strength bristles, for chewing. He's been doing it like that since he was a kitten. Perhaps you can get your cats on that, but the young Dune won't tough a toothbrush for his life, so maybe it's a matter of when they start with a toothbrush.