Boo

Can cats claws shed??

I was trimming my neighbors cats nails for the first time, and I barely touched one of then and the nail came out! He seems fine, just layed there and didn't seem hurt or anything. The thing is, it looked like there were 2 nails in that spot, and the other one is still intact. I trimmed it no problem. So could it be that his nails are shedding? Or did I hurt my neighbors poor kitty??

Asked by Boo on Mar 7th 2010 in Grooming

Answers

Greenlee (In Loving Memory)

i find cat nails all the time inbedded in my carpet, i think all cats shed nails.

maybe someone else can help you with your question. i just wanted to say that my cat lose nails too. . . . . .

Greenlee (In Loving Memory) answered on 3/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What you are describing sounds like a nail sheath. A cat's nail has many layers, sort of like an onion. That is a big part of why cats scratch to help shed and remove those old, outer nail sheaths. As long as everything looks normal, I wouldn't worry. I find nail sheaths all the time too, usually by my scratcher.