can anyone recommend a sedative that will semi-knock out my cat so I can bathe her and trim her back end?

she's 18 lbs, and very strong. she bit the groomer the last time I took her in to have her bathed and ended up in spca quarantine for 10 days (and 200.00 later). I need to be able to bather her because she is too fat to groom her own back end. apparently her weight problem genetic and cannot be resolved even though she is on a strict low carb/grain diet. I cannot bathe her unless i can drug her a little. I dont' want to knock her out, just dope her enough to where she doesn't care that she's getting bathed and trimmed.

Asked by Member 828822 on Apr 21st 2009 Tagged sedation, bathe, sanitrim in Bathing

Best Answer

I had the exact same problem with my "little" girl. She was 20+ pounds and long haired. She could not groom her rear end area and had chronic cystitist. I tried sedation at home with Rx from vet, I think it was amnitriptilyne(? sp). I tried one dose and even a double dose per the vet's instructs and could not handle her without being bitten. The drugs made her groggy and wierd but never "calm" to groom. Being that heavy/big makes it harder to "handle" them. I would have to take her to the vet and they would use gas anesthegia to knock her out and they would shave her rear end for me. She had to be knocked out, just dopey did not work. The stress of a bath overpowered the drugs. The only other suggestion is use a non-scented baby wipe if she will tolerate it without harm to you. Good luck, I know your frustration.

answered on Apr 23rd.

Answers

Hunter

Your vet needs to RX a sedative. You'll need to schedule a visit for them to RX the drug. Please do not use OTC medicines on your kitty as they can actually be fatal.

Hunter answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Spike

Your cat's weight problem may be due to too many calories rather than the content of the food. My Spike is overweight, and I had the vet calculate how many calories he needed per day to lose weight. The vet said that it didn't matter what I fed him so much as the calorie count. The amount of food a cat needs on a diet is actually quite small, but a too sudden weight loss can result in fatal liver disease, so try to get your vet to set up a calorie-based diet plan and see if that works. Even a pudgy cat is better than a fat one. As for sedatives, good luck. Harvey has had both Valium and Xanax, prescribed by the vet, and they only gave him rubbery legs and made him sleepy; they didn't work for his hostility/aggression. Antidepressants, including Prozac, can be used for various behavioral issues, including aggression, but that doesn't seem to be what you need. You can also try Feliway or herb products, which may or may not mellow her out.

Spike answered on 4/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jinxie

Definitely only use a sedative prescribed by your veterinarian. Make sure you let him know that she may need a little stronger sedation than just making her a little sleepy so as to avoid her aggressive reactions. I agree with one of the other replies regarding her diet, she can still eat quite well with a calorie controlled diet. You may even be able to find some good recipes for low calorie but delicious meals for her. Also try playing with her more often to stimulate exercise, any exercise is better than none and it's a little hard to train a cat to a leash unless you have done it from kitten stage (I did this with one of my previous cats and she ended up loving the harness because she associated it with going outside to play). Even a feather on a stick, a small rolled up ball of aluminium foil....anything that will promote movement..... Good Luck :)

Jinxie answered on 4/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer