Can an 18 year old cat travel 18 hours in a truck from Virginia to Florida?

My calico cat is in good health and has traveled 2 hours but no longer.She is fairly fine with riding with the exception of meowing quite a bit.I cannot let her out for fear of her running away.I am moving from a cold climate to a warmer one but do have great air conditioning.Mainly very worried about her age and her using the bathroom.Please help! Mary P.S I have owned her for 17 and a half years and if anything happened I would be devastated???

Asked by Member 1071268 on Nov 16th 2011 in Car Travel

Answers

I would recommend a vet check before the move. Your vet can verify she's healthy enough for the stress of the move, and give you any furthor suggestions and perhaps perscribe a mild sedative (if needed).

Personally, I think she would be more stressed NOT going with you. With your vet's approval, get a carrier or cage big enough for her, food and water dishes, and a small litter box. Since the water is likely to spill, I'd recommend stopping about every 2 hours to offer her water and give her some attention and reassurance. If she usually is fine in the car, and checks out okay at the vet, she should be okay - although moving is stressful for all involved!

Once you get to your new home, I'd confine her to your bedroom for a day or two so she can adjust and gradually get her bearings. Good luck with the move!