Can a neutered male cat still go into some stage of a heat cycle?

My 5 year old male cat has been neutered for quite some time now, but he is a sexually active cat, my new female cat (unspayed) goes into heat and he won't leave her alone lol, but recently he found his way outside and we brought him back inside and now he bombards out the door every chance he gets!! and he's sits at the door and meows constantly, it's driving us crazy! Right now my female is not in heat, but HE is acting like HE is!!

Asked by Member 1150123 on Jan 15th 2013 in Noisiness

Answers

Male cats don't actually have a "heat cycle" like females do. They are ready to mate at any given opportunity. I've heard that some hormones do remain in the body and I've also heard that breeders will use neutered males to "calm down" females in heat whom they don't want to get pregnant. I'm sure that your female being in heat isn't helping, and if SHE gets out, you'll have a litter of kittens to deal with. The only solution to this is to have her spayed as there is an overwhelming overpopulation of homeless cats and kittens today. Males will also use this behavior as a way to say "I'm the boss!" and although it's not the kind of thing you want going on in the middle of a dinner party, it's natural behavior. Reinforce his "alpha" status by feeding him first, grooming him first, etc. He wants to go out because it's fun outside. If he keeps getting out, he will become an outdoor cat and it's really not safe out there. If you feel this behavior is extreme, contact your vet.