Can a mother cat whose milk has dried get her milk backÉ ((LIFE AND DEATH SITUATION!))

A cat I know was pregnant, and she got out, and gave birth. There were no signs that her kittens survived. My aunts cat had kittens a few days ago, and she abandoned them. The other cat seems to want to adopt them, but it seems as though her milk has dried up. Is there any way her milk could somehow come backÉ We have been hand feeding the kittens but they are so cold and we dont know if they will survive.

Asked by Member 859984 on Jul 23rd 2009 Tagged milk, surrogate, mother, death in Health & Safety

Answers

The most important thing for you to do RIGHT NOW is to contact a vet. The vet will tell you how to feed the kittens and how to keep them warm. There may be a shot that the other mama cat can get to make her milk come back. I am not familiar with this. But I do know that it is very important for you to get professional medical advice on saving the lives of these babies. Please let us know how it turns out.

Lily

First, contact the emergency vet hotline, almost every area has one these days.
Secondly, go to your local pet store or grocery store and get cat milk or kitten milk. You will also need a tear dropper and warming blankets. Use the tear dropper to give the kittens milk, the milk can be lukewarm when given. Make sure they are able to suck or latch onto the the dropper. They will need to be fed almost every 2 -4 hours and you, will have to act as the mother and clean up after them as well. Get a warm washcloth and gently massage their backside so their feces can be eliminated.
There are other websites that have this information on them and more helpful info! Just google it! Best of Luck and keep me informed if possible. Just keep those babies warm inside the house, fed with a replacement milk, and to a vet asap!!
P.S. If the other cat adopts them and helps you take care of them at least with the cleaning aspect, that would be amazing!!!

Lily answered on 7/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

DeeJay

How long ago did the pregnant cat have her kittens that didn't survive? You can let the momma cat stay with them and keep them warm even if she doesn't have milk, she will keep them warm, and clean them you will just have to bottle feed them.

DeeJay answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spot

I'm sorry but you can't BUT YOU CAN get special milk formula from places like petsmart that's what kind of what happened to Spot her mother died and we saved her

Spot answered on 7/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer