Pogo

Can a cat get depressed?

My cat has been fixed and first ow do i tell he is in heat? I think he might be and he knows he cant have a litter he has been sad and not affectionate lately is he depressed?

Asked by Pogo on Mar 4th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Mozza (forever loved)

You may have got things mixed up. Pogo's profile says he's a male so a boy cat can't & won't come into heat, even if he wasn't neutered. Only females do.

Yes, occasionally cats can become depressed but not like people do. If they're used to going outdoors & they no longer can, some will act depressed or frustrated. Or if they lost a close companion, cat or person, they can be sad.

But if Pogo isn't as affectionate lately, it's quite possible he acts this way because of some illness. Cats become withdrawn when ill, even if their illness isn't evident to us. Cats instinctively try to hide illness or pain. In the wild, if they didn't, they'd be an easy target for larger predators.

If this goes on longer than a few days &/or if Pogo doesn't seem as interested in food, I'd get him to a vet. Tell the vet your concerns & ask him to do a thorough check-up on Pogo. Unfortunately, many have discovered their cat was ill when the only noticeable symptom was their somewhat depressed behaviour.

Mozza (forever loved) answered on 3/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mozza is right. You told me through pawmail that Pogo goes and visits all those strays that the lady feeds down the street from you, and I'm hoping he didn't get something from one of them. Boy cats can't have babies just like boy humans can't. And, if Pogo is a girl and she's been fixed, she can't come into heat because she doesn't have the female parts to do that anymore. If Pogo was just fixed, it could be a reaction to what they used to put him "out" so they could do the surgery. But I would take him to the vet's if things don't get better. You said Pogo is an outside cat, and sometimes people don't like having somebody else's cats in their yard because they go to the bathroom in their yard and eat birds and things, so they put out poison for the cats to 'get rid' of them. If you can't afford to take Pogo, at least call his doctor and tell him how Pogo is acting and see if you should be worried.

Agreeing that a trip to the vet is in order. I hope Pogo's feeling better very soon.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Males don't come into heat. Only females. Males are ready to mate anywhere anytime, unless neutered of course. Your kitty may just be sick. I think a vet visit is in order!

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 3/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Skuya

Hi,
I remember your question about a week and 1/2 ago about- What are some cat toys ideas?, because he had a cut on his leg. Is his leg better? Maybe it is still bothering him? A follow-up with the Vet would be a good idea.
Hope he's feeling better soon.

Skuya answered on 3/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer