Can a cat die from having worms too long?

the worms are found around the anus, and look like wriggly grains of rice.

Asked by Member 775708 on Dec 2nd 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

It sounds like your cat had got tapeworms. They won't kill her but they may make her skinny because they steal her nutrients and will be uncomfortable.

Treatment is cheap and easy. If you can't afford a vet exam take a sample of the worms to your vet and buy a worming treatment which is just a couple of pills to give your cat.

It does bother me somewhat that you'd ask this question, kind of like, if it was me and I saw this on my cat, I'd have them at the vet's in thirty seconds. But since I don't know your situation, I won't preach. What you've described is tapeworm. In rare cases, the worm can infest the internal organs of a cat, and I'd imagine chances of this increase when the cat is not treated for the worm. Cats get this from eating infected rodents or birds, and it CAN BE PASSED TO HUMANS! As the other poster suggested, this is a fairly easy treatment and cure.

Your cat has tapeworms, which are contagious to humans if not treated. They live inside of the intestines where they eat whatever the cat consumes- sucking all of the nutrients out of the cat's food, so the cat becomes very skinny and it's immune system goes down due to no nutrition, so, yes, worms can be a contributing cause to the death of a cat if the cat gets sick due to a lowered immune system caused by the worms.

Thankfully, the treatment is simple- go to your veterinarian and tell them your situation. They will probably want to see your cat, so bring our kitty along with you. They will give you an inexpensive dewormer that will kill the worms. Just be sure to keep up with the treatment so the worms do not return.

Boris

Something no one else has added yet: tapeworms can also be caused by fleas. Fleas can cause anemia in cats if left untreated for long, and that too could cause a cat a lot of harm (up to and including death).

I would take this poor kitty to a vet now, if I were you.

Boris answered on 12/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer