Shi

Can a cat be scared-aggressive toward another cat?

We are cat-sitting for a friend, and they have a sweet 5 year old cat. Our 3 year old cat came from a shelter/foster home with other cats and dogs, but has had the house to herself for a whole year now. We let the cats stare at each other for a bit from afar, then my cat very slowly creeped over to the other cat. When she got close, the other cat ran away but my cat chased after her! There were a few instances of my cat swatting at the other, though no claws were involved, and my cat was making a sad-sounding whine, but not hissing. We've had to keep them separated, but my cat paces in front of the door where the guest cat is staying, or will stick her hands under the door and paw around. What is going on with her? Is she being scared-aggressive?

Asked by Shi on Sep 14th 2012 in Aggression

Best Answer

Your cat is showing curiousity toward her house guest. If the cats did not aggressively attack each other, no fur flew and no blood was spilled, chances are they will get along. Your cat may have been growling or simply "talking" to the other cat. Cats do chase and bat at each other when they play. Izzie and Lizzie do it all the time. You would know if it was a true "cat fight". Give them a chance to become better acquainted. Try some short, supervised visits.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 14th.

Answers

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

I agree with the first answer. As there is no fur laying about or real fighting it is a pretty good outcome so far. Your kitty is curious but the older visitor may not be willing to make the leap to be a playmate.

If it is only a short time till your friends come back it may be best to just leave her in the room.

Longer and it would be fine if they were allowed to check each other out and see what develops. As long as someone is home and watching for escalation. This could work out well for future vacations all around.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 9/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer