can a 4year old outdoor cat (living in tropical weather) who has never lived inside convert to an indoor NYC cat safely?

I have two homes basically and have - so to speak- adopted 3 feral cats in St Thomas, USVI. We feed them daily , 2 of them are very skittish and have never really warmed up to people. One, however, is very people friendly and i have just fallen in love with him. Understand, he allows me to pet him and loves it, but i have never really picked him up. They were all spayed, neutered as kittens by the humane society down here.
we are moving back to NYC permanently and I am thinking of taking the one with us, but no sure if this is cruel or loving, since he has spent is entire life outdoors, and with his 2 siblings. Not sure he will thrive in a small NYC apartment.
Please advise.

Asked by Member 1146572 on Dec 25th 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Cecilia

I really think this one is a judgement call you have to make. It is possible to turn an outdoor cat into an indoor cat with a little training and some patience, but whether or not it is right for this cat I cannot say. Use common sense and follow your heart.

Cecilia answered on 12/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer