Calico attitude

We just got a calico kitten and the woman we adopted her from said that they are "tricky". What did she mean by that? Is it more attitude related or is it related to something else?

Asked by Member 710405 on Aug 26th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

First let me say that calicos are wonderful cats to have and congrats on bringing one home. Yes, some definitely have an attitude and are highly independent. However, some are extremely affectionate and love to snuggle and play. As a calico, I tend to lean more to the independent side.... that is unless I am cold, or hungry..... One awesome thing about being a calico is your colors will really pop out as you grow.... Mom calls me "her little Joseph's coat"... We are all so different and we know it, that is what makes us so special....

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on Aug 26th.

Answers

Garfield

Hmmm, not sure what she could mean by that. She could mean that it can be a little hard to raise a kitten IDK. Or it might be that this particular kitten can be a handful. I'm really not sure to be honest.

Garfield answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kisu

I was purchased for my coloring! Meowmy loves calico's and I was the boldest and brightest in all the litter. I tend to be a little more independent, but I am also loving and affectionate. I believe what that woman said is a bunch of "hooplah" so dont believe it-
Even humans have different personalities and so do cats WE ARE ENTITLED arent we? How could ones colors have anything to do with personality.. that is just DUMB.

Kisu answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Scientists pooh-pooh the idea of personality being linked to color in cats, but cat owners and even breeders persist in believing that there is a connection. Red and cream tabbies are easily frightened and cover their cowardice by being aggressive; brown tabbies are doglike in their devotion; silver tabbies are nasty; black and white cats are the friendliest; and calicos and torties have "tortitude." I love calicos and torties, and have had two of each; the two calicos were both a bit off emotionally and cognitively, and of the two torties I have now, sisters but not littermates, one is extremely outgoing and affectionate, while the other is very reserved and slightly feral. My red tabby is given to fits of agression when he feels threatened, and my brown tabby thinks he's a dog. Altough I don't really believe color determines personality, it is always fun to speculate on it.

Strangelove (1988-2006)

When I lived in England I'd never heard of this but in the US people seem to think that Torties/Calicos are more feisty than other cats. I haven't really noticed my tortie/calico cats being any more aggressive than the tabby ones. They've all got different personalities but none of them were nasty. Gogo is a total love bug, Jester was fairly timid, Strangelove was queen of the cats, Jingo follows me around like a dog, Minxy is a total lap hog.

Strangelove (1988-2006) answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lucy (In Loving Memory)

Lucy is a very sweet calico. She loves to be pet and snuggled with. She does have her moments, but besides that I think she is a loving cat. My grandma has a calico (Bonnie) and she is a brat! Haha, she certainly does have her own personality. She will let you pet/hold her when she wants you too. Very independent!

Lucy (In Loving Memory) answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Calico's are so beautiful cats.I don't believe that the coloration of a cat can be the reason of their attidute or traits.Maybe the woman meant that only for the specific kitten.