buff furr turns black with body fluids

i have a rescue that when her eyes and nose run her furr turns from buff to black, what am i doing wrong?
never had a persian and she is the absolute sweetest thing ever, just want her to look as good as she feels

Asked by Member 1139473 on Nov 6th 2012 Tagged furrdisscolor in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I really don't think it's anything you're doing wrong, as such. First, if she has a real issue with a runny nose and watery eyes, it might be a good idea to check with your vet. I'm certain there is some sort of anti-histamine they can prescribe for her, or test her for allergies. If she is just a "juicy" kitty, you may want to try wiping her eyes and under her nose with a towel moistened with warm water. I wouldn't use soap in the eye area and my cats at least are not big fans of baths. If you can wipe off the mucous before it has a chance to discolor the fur, it might lessen the staining. If there is a groomer who grooms cats in your area, you could also call them to see what they recommend.