Bringing cat siblings to elder ones euthanasia

Should I bring other cats who have been together all they're lives to my one cats euthanasia I'm worried they will look for him and be sad at his departure by not knowing what happened or will they always be afraid to go to vet office after that?

Asked by Member 1142920 on Nov 29th 2012 Tagged euthanasia, siblings in Health & Wellness

Answers

I am so sorry for your impending loss. I know how badly this hurts. However, his siblings do not understand what you are about to do. It will occur to them in a while that their brother is no longer there. They do not understand that he is not going to come back. They will not realize what the reason is that he's going to the vet and as this is a most difficult time, could become more upset by your reactions in the office itself. Most animals are not fond of visiting the vet no matter the reason they are going. Animals are perceptive in picking up on scents of fear and stress of the other patients and become upset by being in an unusual situation with animals they do not know. After the procedure, when you come home, devote as much time as you can to your other cats. They WILL look for him and won't understand your explanations of what happened. But, they will look to you for comfort as you will look to them. You all should grieve as long as you need to. We send purrs.