Jasper

Boyfriend Allergic to my cats. Help!!

I have had my two cats for over 4 years. I have been dating my current boyfriend for almost 2 years. My boyfriend and I have recently decided to move in together. The problem is he is allergic to cats. My male cat sleeps next to me,mostly shares my pillow with me all night. My boyfriend has asked if when we move in together we could keep the cats out of our bedroom so he can have on area of the home cat hair/dander free. I feel this is an acceptable request. I am just not sure how my male cat will deal with it since he already paws and meows if the bedroom door is shut. One suggestion I've heard is to put a gate in the doorway so the cat can see you still and know you are ok. I am at a lose as to what will be the best compromise for my cats and boyfriend. Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Asked by Jasper on Jun 6th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

The gate is a good idea and worth a try. Have the boyfriend pick it out with you and install it so he knows how much the cats mean to you. Also have him talk to his doctor about medicines like Singulair. I'm allergic to a very fluffy 20 pounder of mine and there's no way that I will ever give her up, so I take 1/2 pill at night. Promise your guy the next cat will be a Sphynx or a hypo-allergenic dog like a Wheaton! ^_^