Toby

Blood in kitten stool!

Today i noticed Toby's stool to have a little bit of blood mixed in. The stool was a bit runny too. The other day i had to use a different cat food for a day and im wondering if this could be the cause. I'm going to wait it out a day and see what happens. Any suggestions??

Asked by Toby on Aug 10th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

When you change cat food suddenly, it can cause diarrhea or loose stools, but not blood in the stool. If it appears again, get a stool sample and your kitty to the vets as soon as you can. Blood appearing anywhere it's not supposed to is a red flag that something is not right.

Harvey

Harvey has the occasional loose stool with a bit of blood in it. The first time it happened, I took Harvey plus stool sample to my vet, who said there was no problem. He told me that something as innocent as a hair passing through the intestines can cause the occasional bloody stool. I would imagine that, just as with humans, fresh blood is not as worrisome as black, tarry stools, which signal bleeding higher up in the GI tract. In any event, bloody stools can be caused by a variety of things, and I'd recommend a vet trip, but also recommend that you don't worry yourself into a tizzy until Toby can be seen. Good luck at the vet's, and don't forget to take a stool sample!

Harvey answered on 8/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer