Lillan (RIP 11/24/08)

Best affordable dry cat food

I made a commitment to feed my 2 kittens quality cat food until their first birthday. Now that they are over a year old, I've started switching them from ProPlan Dry Kitten food to Friskies Indoor Cat Food. They seem to be eating much more food since the switch. I don't want them to get overweight and I've heard that some cat foods have an addictive ingredient to make cats eat it.

It is very difficult for me to afford to keep feeding them ProPlan or similar high-quality (meat as top ingredient) cat food. Does anyone have any ideas that will keep them on a healthy diet and still be affordable?

Asked by Lillan (RIP 11/24/08) on Nov 14th 2009 Tagged dryfood, affordablefood, healthydiet in Pet Food

Answers

Max

There are many schools of thought on feeding of kitties. People will swear their food is the best. I know someone who has ten cats and she fosters more. She feeds her cats Friskies Indoor cat food. She also feeds them 9 Lives canned food. Her cats are all healthy and have a good weight. If you can afford it feed them some canned food, this has more meat and is filling. I've heard that some cat foods have some addicitive ingredient to make them eat it too. I really don't know if that's true or not. I've looked at some of the real expensive cat food and it has some of the ingredients of the cheaper food. It's a personal choice and we do the best we can with what we have.

Max answered on 11/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

There are many different opinions on food. I agree that canned would be best if you can afford it. Cats do not have a strong thirst mechanism and in the wild get most of their water from their prey. Cats fed dry food will drink more water, but not enough and are generally chronically dehydrated. Whatever you decide to feed, feed the best that you can afford. Remember that often better quality foods have less grains and fillers so you actually feed less. A higher quality food may not really be that much more expensive since they eat less. Here's a website of feline nutrition: catinfo.org

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 11/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think the ingredient you might be referring to is "animal digest" It's a nasty soup made up of all sorts of undesirable parts of animal carcasses. You can read a description on Wikipedia if you really want to know. But it is sprayed on many cheaper pet food to make it smell and taste yummy to disguise the fact that it is made of corn and fillers. If you really want to stick to less expensive dry food, Purina One is less expensive than Pro Plan but it is better than Friskies and stuff like that. The ones that use food coloring and fancy shapes are just adding more garbage the cats don't need. I feed Wellness myself but I agree that it is very expensive. Cats will eat less of the higher quality foods because it takes less for them to feel full than it does with the ones that are loaded with grain and by-products.

Sprinkles

Felidae is very affordable. It's cheaper then iams actually. pro plan too i think ,or the same, can't recall.

www.canidae.com

Sprinkles answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

I know you want to save money, but you may end up paying more money when you have to take them to the vet. All dry food is sprayed with animal digests, if it wasnt cats would not eat it. Your cats will eat more of the lower quality food, as it is not satisfying them, thus in turn can lead to obesity, diabetes, and the list goes on, they need protein period!
So if money is tight please feed cheaper canned food, such as Friskies,fancy feast, or nine lives, just make sure that it is the flavours that do not contain gluten, or alot of grain. Read a site called catinfo.org.
you can message me on Catster, and I can give you the exact list of cheaper wet food flavours.

Shadow answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer