Mani

Benadryl for a cat?

I need to be shaved regulary due to my oily hair consistancy or I turn into a big knot. I will not be combed, and do not like to sit thur the whole shaving.Some of the nurses are work say to give 5 mg benadryl to mellow me out but not sure it is a good idea as I only weight about 5 pounds and am not of large stature, about 6" high and 3 YO. What can safely calm me down please?

Asked by Mani on May 10th 2011 in Home Grooming

Answers

Ask your vet to recommend a sedative and dosage that you can safely use as human meds can be risky and even if they can be used the vet will know the right dosage. Our vet uses one called torbutrol that you could ask about and they may have other ones they use. Sassy needed her teeth cleaned but they could be cleaned with a hand scaling like by a human dental hygenist. They gave her torbutrol about an hour before and it worked great and she was awake but calm through the whole thing

Delilah

Unless you work in a vet clinic, I would not try to self-medicate your kitty. When my dog had surgery, they did give her Benedryl so there is a veterinary dosage, but you need to call your vet first and pick up the prescription from them. If you've ever taken Benedryl yourself, you know it's a pretty powerful sedative. Delilah is the same as Mani. I've worked with her for almost 4 years to get her to tolerate brushing and now she purrs and trills, but she was a demon before she changed her mind. I found a wonderful groomer who tolerates Delilah's behaviors. She is able to groom her w/o sedating her. When you call your vet about the benedryl, you might want to ask them about controlling Mani's oily skin. There might be something they can do. Good luck!

Delilah answered on 5/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My vet suggested Piriton for my cat who has allergies in v small doses and said it could make him sleepy but I wouldnt go ahead and prescribe human medication without a vets say so. You can get plug in fragrance for the home which contain cat hormones from the vet that will chill your pusscat out or catnip makes my Toby go mental then very very sleepy!