At what age should I have my cat neutered?

My kitten is 1month old, at what age should he be neutered?

Asked by Member 804987 on May 4th 2009 Tagged montholdmalekitten in Vaccinations

Answers

HENRY DIED 9-6-09

I truly believe to wait until they are six months old, I know some do it when they are four months but I would be on the safe side and wait for six months, that is the way I have done all of mine,
God Bless!!

HENRY DIED 9-6-09 answered on 5/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They do it as early as 12 weeks at the shelters and even some breeders have it done that early before the new families can take them home. It's perfectly safe but I prefer to wait. My vet always recommends when the kitten is 5 months or 5 pounds

Angel

At the youngest, 4 months. If you neuter them earlier they may cause cancer because they're not matured yet, so as long as it's more than 4 months I guess it's fine. I highly recommend 5 months or around 6 months. BTW, Congratulations on getting a kitty! Good luck!

Angel answered on 5/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Captiain Jack

When a male is neutered at the appropriate age, (young and before the sexual hormones kick in) he tends to keep the "kitten" mentality for a very long time ,sometimes throughout life. This goes with the 5 pound 5 month rule as a general but 4 months is perfectly safe as well as down to about 12 weeks at the earliest though preference lies in the 4 to 5 month area as they will start trying to breed with a female in heat not long after this if he can. Male cats will be able to sire kittens when they are about 5 months of age. This coming from a long time family friend that is a vet and has been for going on 40 years and hasn't raised his prices in the last 15 as to keep vet care affordable so people will still seek treatment for their animals. I have had cats and kittens for many years and grew up around a cattery , But The main thing is get your pets spayed or neutered!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captiain Jack answered on 5/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer