Captain

At what age should a male kitten be fixed?

Asked by Captain on Sep 24th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Most vets will neuter a male kitten at six months of age. Some spay and neuter clinics and animal welfare organizations endorse early desexing of animals as young as 6 weeks of age. As long as the animal is healthy and reaches the recommended weight for the surgery, there is no reason not to do it that young and since some cats reach early puberty, it's probably a better idea to have it done younger. Shelters began the juvenile spay/neuter when people adopted a young animal, promised to bring the animal back in for neuter/spay and then never did. The results of that can be seen in the extreme overpopulation of animals in our country today. Now, most shelters have adopted a juvenile spay/neuter program and only adopt out "fixed" animals. Recovery rate for young animals is the same as for "older" kittens and could even be a little quicker.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 24th.

Answers

Smokey

All of my male kittens were fixed right after their testicles dropped. the important thing is to make sure BOTH have completely dropped. Usually 8-10 weeks and i have had no health issues relating to having them fixed this early. I also tend to feral and strays and keep up with them after having them fixed and there has been no adversities in them either. Hope this helps.

Smokey answered on 9/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree that a male cat should be neutered as soon as both testicles have decended. Stud cats have really strong urine and feel it necessary to mark their territory, the smell is awful, something to be avoided at all costs.

Why did my 5 month old cat start marking my house with his very stinky urine the day AFTER he was neutered?