Theo

Are there medical issues with being the runt of a litter?

I took in a litter of stray cats from my back yard. I am confident they are full siblings since they look alike. The female is half the size of the males. She is perfectly healthy - when I took her to the vet she only had worms (as expected considering where I got her) I am wondering if there are medical issues related to her being a runt.

Asked by Theo on Jul 29th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

If she got the okey-dokey from the vet, then probably not. Small size does not automatically mean health-problems. If she had been abandoned and left alone by the mom, then I'd have serious doubts about her longevity (tried to save a baby who'd been abandoned once--didn't work out. She was abandoned by the mom for a reason.) Make sure you keep up on her vet visits for her vaccinations and check-ups until she's done with her baby shots and then yearly thereafter. With a loving and caring home, I'd be willing to be she'll grow up to be a little tiger.

Jingo

Since the vet gave her a clean bill of health she should be fine. Jingo was the tiny little runt of the litter and at 9 weeks was half the size of her brothers and about 3/4 the size of her sister. She was healthy and had no health issues.

Jingo answered on 7/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I agree, if the vet gave her a clean bill of health I would not be concerned.

I was a runt too and became very sick with a URI at 7 weeks old. Mom and my vet though I was going to be a small cat. Well, 13 pounds later I fooled them!

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 7/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris

Girl cats tend to be smaller than boy cats from the same litter. Not always, but often enough. Also being a runt does not mean you'll always be small.

I was a runt, and I've grown strong, big, and healthy. When I was adopted, my sister cat was much bigger than I was. One thing that helped is that I was adopted as an only, and so I did not have to share my food with other adults and kittens, like I had to do at my foster home. She'll catch up eventually.

Boris answered on 7/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer