Are sphynx cats, as a breed, prone to poop more often and have stinker poops then their haired counterparts?

My wife has had cats all her life. I am allergic and never had cats. Fourteen years ago we got our female sphynx. My wife swears that sphynx's crap more often and that it is way stinkier over other cats. I have no experience to base this on but have trouble believing what my wife says. She told me to post it to see what other sphynx owners say. We're looking at kittens and she thinks we should look at other breeds because of the "stinkiness". What do you other sphynx owners think?

Asked by Member 918298 on Nov 15th 2009 Tagged sphynx, stink, smell in Breeds

Answers

Jack Kayden -love always

Their poop isn't stinkier but sphynx in general do have a weird odor to them because of the oil from their skin. Is it possible your wife just thinks sphynx smell funny? I have sphynx and non-sphynx cats and this type of thing just varies by cat and diet, not by breed. One of my hairy cats seems to have smellier poop than everyone else. Diet greatly affects their feces and how often they go. Changing foods to a higher quality or something that is easier to digest may help your cat go less often or cut down the smell. Its also possible your sphynx could have digestive issues, but this isn't true for all cats of the breed. If your allergies flair up more with hairy cats though, I wouldn't dare get anything other than a sphynx because you don't want to end up having to return or rehome the kitty. If your allergies don't flair up with your sphynx, I would go with another sphynx or you could possibly try a rex breed.

Jack Kayden -love always answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I definitely agree with your wife! I am an avid cat lover, and my husband and myself, now own two teenaged Sphynx kitties, and we have been in total disbelief at the profuse amount, and how often each day, and the incredible smell of these kitties potty habits.
We really love these kitties and we feed high quality food, but I must say I have never owned any other cat that goes as much, or as very smelly as these two. We have called them colons with heads!
But you are the second person I have run into on the internet tonight that has addressed this issue. My husband and I were beginning to think we were the only ones who had noticed this. Also they were like this from the moment we got them home(they were safely shipped). So it is not something we are doing. We were feeding them the breeder recommended foods.
We were going to check a couple of ideas that were on the internet about particular diet changes that could possibly affect the smell. But the amount? Oh Well. We love them.

♥ Tasha ♥

It really makes sense to me that it would be the food and the particular cat- not the breed. Here is a website about feeding cats that may be helpful to you: catinfo.org

Good luck!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 11/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Izzy

I have kept cats for years, and a few months ago I bought my first sphynx. I can definatly say that the poop smell is a lot worse than a normal cat, so bad in fact that my mam won't look after her when I go on holiday because she won't be able to clean the liter tray, where before she could!
She is eating premium quality cat food, and has tried a few different brands
If anyone can advice on how to reduce the smell, that would be very helpful!
thanks

Izzy answered on 12/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

bets diet is highest protein like pure chicken breast i have a 3 yr old sphynx and her too is vile she eats royal canin sensitive cat and her poo is still very smelly and horrible shes having a poop sample taken in tomorrow to the vets what ever you do do not change their food over n over as sphynx r well known for their tummy sensativity and will just make the problem worse