Are Russian Blue Cats Non Allergic?

I am allergic to cats and dogs and I read online that they are Non Allergic. Is that True?

Asked by Member 851262 on Jul 2nd 2009 in Allergies

Answers

The term you're looking for is hypoallergenic. As for the breed in general, I'm no expert. However, I do know a very friendly Russian Blue who still sets off my friend's husband's allergies like none other. I'm not sure if that's just extreme allergies, but if you're allergic I would definitely test the kitten before you make a commitment. You may do better with a hairless breed, which really are hypoallergenic.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Most likely you are allergic to cat saliva, any cat, regardless of breed, can cause you to have allergy symptoms. Your cat grooms themselves and saliva gets transferred to the fur and then to you when petting or become airborne. Hypoallergenic does not mean non-allergenic. Hypoallergenic just means it is less likely but there's no guarantee this or any other breed will keep you symptom free. Some people are fooled by this and unfortunately the pet is on the losing end when the people realize they need to rehome or take them to the shelter.
There are things you can do to help keep your home have less allergens. Vacuum freguently with a hepa filter and dust daily, use easy to clean blinds instead of curtains, get rid of carpet, use a air purifier, never allow pets in your bedroom, ensure they have no fleas less scratching, wash your hands after petting this should be done anyway, get yourself a over the counter 24 hr. allergy pill or ask your doctor about shots.
Have a good one.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 7/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

No cat is truly hypoallergenic... although some breeds are known to be more easily tolerated by allergy sufferers. These breeds include: Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, Russian Blues, Siberian, and Sphynx. To really know if you can tolerate the cat, you will need to meet the cat and handle him to see if he sets off your allergies. I would also recommend working with an allergist. There are medications and allergy treatments the may help reduce your allergies. A good vacuum with a HEPA filter is also a must. Finally, I've heard bathing the cat once a week can help with allergies. Ideally, of course, this would be done by someone not allergic.

Also, remember to do your homework and proceed carefully when buying a purebred. There are some disreputable, "back yard" breeders out there. The breeder should have a neutering agreement, be willing to provide papers, have a sales contract and health guarantee, and be willing to take back or help re-home one of their cats if necessary.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 7/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie

There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat, strictly speaking. But you can choose a cat or dog with the idea of minimizing dander, which is what most people who are allergic to pets really have problems with. Whatever pet you choose would need to have a shorthair coat, and might need to be bathed and groomed pretty frequently so that dander buildup can be minimized. This will minimize the severity of your allergy, but you might have to pair it with allergy medication to be on the safe side.

There are a few people who are allergic to a cat or dog's saliva. They can get pretty violent allergic reactions where they go into anaphylactic shock. That's a more severe type of allergy, and one that should not be taken lightly. I have one such friend. He just does not keep cats or pet kitties no matter how friendly. If you're like him, you might have to opt for a feathered or scaly friend instead.

Gracie answered on 7/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

it all depends you need to spend time with the cat for a while though to see how it goes. ive read that shorter hair/fur isnt really better, its a cat with longish or long hair, light colored fur,& female for some reason. I have two family members w/ bad allergies and asthma and our vet recommended the Siberian and Balinese but we are also looking at blue russians,siameses,etc.
So it really all depends on your allergies/and/or asthma.
Good luck
(I dont have an account set up all the way yet but will post where you can respond to me or something)