Are peanuts or the husk or shell of the peanut bad for a cat?

Our cat has been acting 'sluggish' for the past couple of days. He has been sleeping more than usual & just seems 'down in the dumps'. We think he may have eaten a couple peanut shells from the floor before they were vacuumed up. Could this affect the way a cat feels?

Asked by Member 1069149 on Nov 7th 2011 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Cali

I've never heard of cats having a bad chemical reaction to peanuts, but if he really went to town on a lot of the tough fibrous shells he may have backed up his digestive system or even created a blockage. If he's eating normally watch him closely for any worsening of or new symptoms, hopefully he'll feel better soon. But if he starts losing his appetite, stops pooping, or isn't acting any better in a few days you should really have your vet check him out. The peanut shell incident could even just be a coincidence and his not feeling great could be from something else.

Cali answered on 11/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Golden Retriever, Brandy, was a champion hurler. She loved the salty peanut shells and would also eat them. Within ten minutes I was in the family room with a roll of paper towels, picking up her "auto-eject". Unfortunately, cats also love those salty shells. I would be willing to bet that your cat has a "log-jam" in his stomach or intestines. I have to caution you that this is no joke. My daughter's cat, Sophie, almost died from an intestinal blockage. The surgery cost her $2000. I would suggest that you at least CALL your vet for advice. Whether it is the shells or as Cali suggests, something else, it's best to catch it now especially if this is a change in his behavior. If you don't have a vet, this is a good time to get one on board.