Are my cats playing or fighting???

I have had one 3year old female rescue cat (RIA) for a while now and have recently introduced a same aged male rescue cat (Percy)... at first ria was a bit jealous of having to share everything and hissed at him but a few days in they are chasing each other all over the place, however if ria ever catches him she bats him with her paws. im not sure if it is a game or whether she is chasing him off and he just thinks its a game. whilst all this is going on Percy is almost talking and making weird noises like high pitched vocal purrs....occasionally i here growling but not all the time.....bit unsure on the whole situation.

Asked by Member 1156872 on Feb 25th 2013 Tagged rescuecats, chasing, playing, talking, batting, growling in Socialization

Answers

When cats play, it can sound like fighting. Usually, the whole situation is over in a few minutes, or at least it is with my cats. Lizzie used to sit on the dining room table and when Izzie passed by, she'd launch herself at him. There would be hissing, batting, some growling and a lot of "talking", and then it was over. I have to say that if they were fighting, you'd know it. I gave Izzie catnip a few years back and for the first time, he became nasty with his sisters. I knew just from the sounds he was making that he wasn't kidding and/or playing. He hasn't had it since. If Ria's nose is out of joint at having to share with her new brother, it's best that they each have their own litter box and food dishes and even beds even though they may share.