Are human vitamin B complex pills bad for cats?

I take a B complex pill everyday and one morning my cat smelled my vitamins before I had taken them and the smell of the B complex pill was having an effect on him like it was catnip or something and before I knew what was happening he snatched the vitamin B complex pill and ate it like a Kitty treat. Could this mean he is vitamin deficient?

Asked by Member 965436 on Feb 24th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Vitamin B itself is not bad for cats but the amount and the type that is in a human pill might be toxic. Often you do not know that a cat's organs may be failing from this type of possible poisoning until it is too late. Please call your vet and ask them. Be prepared to tell them the mg of each thing that is in the pill.

I totally agree with Allie. Even humans who dose themselves with every vitamin on the market expecting it to work miracles with their health can suffer from poisoning and not even know it. They can cause a breakdown in the internal organs which is a slow and mysterious way to die. If your cat eats the best food you can afford, is healthy (you know this by taking him to his vet for regular well-cat check-ups and when he isn't feeling well), playful and social, he isn't deficient and doesn't need anything else but your love and warm lap should he so choose. I would also suggest that since Kitty has already gotten a taste of your vitamins and decided he likes them, you keep your bottles put away where he can't reach them.