Are British Shorthair colorpointed cats and normal british shorthair cats different in personality?

Hello,
I recently got a book about cats in different breeds and colors.
I was reading about Biritish Shorthair, and it said that British shorthair cats with pointed color(Bluepoint, chocolate point, etc..with *blue eyes*) are more "Loving" in personality.... and I wonder if that is true????! Did they get the pointed colors from Siamese ?

Of course, all cats have different personalities, but would love to know in general... :)

Asked by Member 1066237 on Dec 10th 2011 Tagged britishshorthaircolorpointsiamese in British Shorthair

Answers

Sorry, but British Shorthairs do NOT come in pointed colors, and were never crossed with Siamese. See the CFA website for the breed standard. www.cfa.org

Exotic Shorthairs DO come in pointed colors. Perhaps you meant Exotics?

I personally do not believe color has any bearing on personality.

Harvey

A very brief Google search indicates that there are registries that recognize colorpoint British Shorthairs. If a cat is a colorpoint, ie has Siamese heritage, it is statistically likely to be talkative and almost intrusive in its friendliness. That is statistically speaking. Meet the cats, let one choose you. My Harvey was chosen simply on the basis of his color. Silly me. He became socialized during our time together, though, and now sleeps with his paw in my hand. If you want a colorpoint cat, there seem to be a lot in the moggy population. I am a breeder, and not anti-breed cat. But if what you want is affection, your best bet is to find an affectionate cat, at a shelter or at a breeder's. It sounds like you want a clingy cat. You can find one.

Harvey answered on 12/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Regional Winner, Supreme Grand

To the best of my knowledge (I breed Brits for 27 years) CFA is the only registry in the world (and the largest in the USA) that doesn't recognize colorpoint BS. Everywhere in the world, including the country of origin - Britain - for years these colors are shown/bred/registered. I personally brought a beautiful color pointed female for a club member from Belgium in 1997.

The pointed color comes from outcrossing with colorpointed Exotics and Persians, not Siamese. Hence occasional trouble with PKD.

As far as personality, from my own experience, colorpoint BHs are pretty much the same laid back personality and dog-like behavior (sweet, human-oriented, social, talkative sometimes) as the majority of the Brits.

As far as loving, yes, they are, except keep in mind they are not lap cats due to their VERY thick coat. They overheat if sit on your lap for longer than 3 minutes, you will never find them under the covers, and they prefer to rest on tile, in a sink, window sill.

Regional Winner, Supreme Grand answered on 3/19/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer