Are black and white cats different in their temperaments than most others?

It has taken her a very long time to trust me and seems to be a bit cantankerous at times. She was about 7 mo when I got her. She comes now to get on my lap but doesn't stay except if SHE feels like it. She is vocal and follows me all over the house but gets mad if I pet for too long, etc. I've heard that black and white kitties are a litter different in temperament. Is this true?

Asked by Member 558221 on Jan 14th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Boris

False. Temperament doesn't really have to do much with color, but is more or less due to genetics and/or experience. If her cat parents were a little needier than usual, she might have turned out the same because of her genes. Or she might have been born with a hardy temperament, but if she was a stray before you got her for a good long while, she's learned that nothing is for certain, and that has her be insecure around most people.

Aside for taking a while to trust you, your kitty does not sound very temperamental to me. Not sitting on laps is about preferences, not temperament. I am very lovey dovey, but rarely if ever will I sit on a human's legs. I follow mommy around the house and meow when I want her to play with me, and any cat worth their sense will let you know that you petted them too long by clawing at your hands and running off to be alone. That is to say, based on what you mentioned she is no more or no less temperamental than your average cat.

Boris answered on 1/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Boris is right. People seem to think that black cats have a different, "mysterious" personality, but they don't. The cat's personality is dependent on it's history and it's home life. You sound a trifle resentful of your kitty, but that's the way cats are. My Diva, Delilah, is the exact same way. She owns me on HER terms, not mine. I've learned to recognize the signs that she's getting antsy when I love her up and I immediately put her down or risk getting bit or scratched. She is the only one of my three cats that the dogs only mess with when they're feeling stupid and they don't stay stupid for long after she waps them across the nose. She's only come to sit on the arm of my chair once in the year I've had her, and never sits on my lap. I love her very much and accept her for what she is--my beautiful Delilah the Devine Diva.