Boo

Are American Shorthairs typically skinny?

I got my kitten from a rescue org, her papers say she's an American shorthair mix. She's very long and thin. The vet said she's underweight but he's not concerned, she must just be a skinny cat. I think of her body type as a cat supermodel lol, she's georgeous. But I'm wondering if this is a trait of the American shorthairs?

In response to the answers:
Oh she's definitely not athletic looking lol yeah I kind of figured she was a DSH like Joop. Breed isn't important to me at all, i was just wondering if that's where her skinniness comes from. I wonder how she will look full grown...guess I'll find out soon enough! Thanks for the answers!

Asked by Boo on Feb 21st 2010 in Breeds

Answers

Here is the CFA breed profile for American Shorthairs: www.cfa.org American Shorthairs have a distinctive look of their own, and have a heavier build more towards a football player than a supermodel. I don't see much American Shorthair in Boo, but she is a gorgeous girl! As she came from a rescue, who knows what her background is. She doesn't need a breed, just love and admire her for who she is.

Jingo

American shorthairs have an average/stocky build and fairly round faces with smaller rounded ears. See the CFA breed description and pictures www.cfa.org . Boo has a longer more triangular face and larger/more pointed ears and doesn't look particularly like an american shorthair to me. Many mixed breed cats probably have a bit of american shorthair in them and Boo may have looked more like that when she was a kitten and naturally had smaller ears and a more rounded face.

Technically she's a "domestic shorthair" which means a mixed breed cat with short fur and 95% of US cats are domestic short/medium/longhair.

Part of her being skinny is because 5 months is the equivalent of a child of about 10 and she'll be a skinny kid/teenager until she's about a year old. Then she'll start to fill out and put on muscle to reach her full size at about 2 years old.

Boo and Joop are really cute and lucky you adopted them.

Jingo answered on 2/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

The comments about the breed known as "American Shorthair" are right on the mark. Boo is a cute cat, but doesn't look anything like an AS. American Shorthairs are purebred cats, and I doubt that many of them are mating with moggies whose kittens end up in shelters. However, Boo's triangular face and tall, widely and obliquely set ears might (emphasis on might) indicate some Siamese genetic heritage. Siamese were wildly popular in the period when breeders didn't desex their cats before selling them, owners were lax about spaying and neutering their pets, and when it was safer than it is now to let a cat go outside. A lot of cats have hidden Siamese heritage. But I'm just guessing. Shelters often give a cat a "breed" name because in many cases it makes the cat easier to rehome. I'm all for rehoming cats, but saying that the cat is a breed cat sometimes leaves the new owner confused. If I were you, I'd just go with "domestic short hair." And Boo's a cute cat, by the way.

My neutered,male DSH is built like a full-back;he doesn't eat a lot,he's just hunky(weighs about 18 lbs).The agency I adopted him from thought he might have some Maine Coon in him,but he's the typical black and white tuxedo cat!

If she is a younger, she will fill out in time. However, I am a tuxedo aka an American Shorthair. I'm only 11 mos., but I was hungary all the time & knew that I was thinner than I should be & sure enough, Mom kept checking & I had tapeworms & wasn't getting any nourishment. She called the vet & got the pill, smashed it up in some food & now I'm doing much better. Just make sure your baby is girl is as health as me.

Boo

I too adopted a black cat from a shelter -- she was approx 2 yrs old. I also named her Boo...sweetest little girl EVER. She and Bebe were raised by a cat horder (130+ cats). Boo was just under 7 lbs and Bebe just over 6 lbs. That was almost 1 year ago. Now they're both about 8 to 9 pounds -- they've both grown & filled out nicely. Boo is a stockly little one with the absolute best chirp/coo. Bebe, a tuxedo, is slim and sleek. I figure their much improved diet contributed to their growth.

Your little Boo is an absolute cutie-patootie!

Boo answered on 10/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Patricia

American shorthairs are supposed to have tubular, not cobby, bodies. However, they are NOT supposed to look underweight. If an ASH looks underweight, chances are it is. Patricia has a small frame for being an ASH because she was underweight when she was adopted at age 7 weeks, then did not like her new kitten food (Science Diet). She is now a good 10 pounds, which is normal for American shorthair queens.

Patricia answered on 4/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer