Approximately 4 week old male kitten had one eye shut

My husband brought home this adorable kitten that someone at work found in a box in a dumpster. He is so sweet. Seems healthy - VERY active. Eats very well and even uses the litter box.

His left eye was sealed shut. I dabbed it with a warm damp cloth and it did open. Looks okay. He does keep it about halfway open at times.

Appears to be of good health otherwise.

He is very playful and purrs almost all the time. I haven't had the chance to get him to the vet yet.

Does anyone know of something I can do for his eye in the mean time?

Also, any advice for introducing him to my other 2 cats who are already concerned that he is there?

Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Asked by Member 896028 on Oct 1st 2009 Tagged kittenwithoneeyeshut in Kittens

Best Answer

Howie

Please take this little one to the vet soon, before you introduce him to the other cats as you don't know if he has any health issues that could be passed on to your other cats. The vet can look at his eye then, and get him on a vaccination schedule. He can also give you advice on how to introduce everyone; hint--slowly!

Howie answered on Oct 1st.

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Above poster is correct. This kitten needs to see a vet ASAP. I would assume he is a bit older that 4 wks if he is eating on his own so well and using the litter box.
He may have a upper respiratory infection or an eye infection and both require antibiotics. Vaccines and deworming are in order as well.
I would as well delay introductions to your cats. First make sure kitten is free of parasites or diseases and then you can start taking the steps to bring the kitten into your family.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

when we brought our sweet little gizmo home from the pet store, a few days later we noticed he was having a hard time opening his one eye so we took him to the vet and they found out that he has kitty herpes (not an std, its like a constant cold for kitties; with eye flaring up&sneezing) so they gave us this cream/gel for his eye its called Fucithalmic Gel---its Fucidic Acid; he doesnt like it when i give it to him but it works magic and he is a much healthier/happier kitty afterwards! also to help with his sickness & sneezing we give him 1.25mL of Viralys once a day, its an oral gel and it also works wonders!!! maybe your kitty has the same thing as mine, and if not you should still write down the names of these products and mention them to your vet!!!  Keep us posted!!! 
--sarah&gizmo

Boris

Quite frankly, without knowing what the problem is, you may very well do something that will harm the little one's eye more than help. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, that's what my vet said last time I was brought in post haste because I was having eye issues. He said that eye issues are always to be treated as an emergency, and that many home remedies can harm more than help a kitten.

Like the other two posters said, a vet visit for an eye problem is a priority. There is no "I haven't gotten a chance". He has to go in ASAP. His eyesight might depend on how fast you respond. Not trying to scare you, again it's what our vet said, and this with a cat much older than yours is.

The younger the cat, in general, the more any vision, eating, or elimination problem should be treated like the emergency it is.

Boris answered on 10/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer