Anyone with knowledge regarding non-contagious kitten diarrhea?

Hey There!

I have been caring for 2 stray kittens since they were about 8 weeks old (11 weeks now). My goal is to foster them until they have been properly socialized and given the necessary vaccination's/vet care they deserve (have done this before).

They have a vet appointment this week, but I have an interesting question before then. What ailments would cause a kitten to have non-contagious diarrhea?? The female kitten has had a combination of loose stool and very smelly diarrhea- but this has not affected her brother.

Of course parasites/worms, bad diet, disease, accidental consumption of non-food, etc. etc. can cause diarrhea...but the only reason I can come up with is that she may just have a very sensitive digestive system. I will not know 100% until blood work and a fecal is done but does anyone have another possible explanation??

The real question is what conditions result in diarrhea but are non-contagious, even if the kittens share a litter box & food/water bowls??

Asked by Member 1131123 on Sep 17th 2012 Tagged diarrhea, stray, littermates, worms, kittens in Fostering a Pet

Answers

There are so many possibilities, it would take many more that the 1,000 alloted characters. It's quite possible that if the male's stools are normal, the female may have irritable bowel or even an allergy to something in her diet. Too much water in the diet can cause diarrhea as it washes everything through the digestive system before it can be processed. More serious concerns would be FIP and FiV. If she has worms, chances are her brother does as well. Most kittens do. Diarrhea is a concern with a baby that young. It impedes healthy weight gain and physical development, and the ability to absorb nutrients. You are wise for taking them to the vet. Please let us know how they make out!