Anyone know what breed I am?

Can anyone let my mommy know what breed I may be? She adopted me from the animal shelter and they told her that I was a orange tabby, but a friend recently told her that she was pretty sure that I was an American Shorthair. Thank you :)

Asked by Member 998991 on Aug 1st 2010 Tagged breed, american shorthair in American Shorthair

Answers

Wow, what a cutie! And, welcome to Catster! He has some really amazing markings! We usually tell people who ask us what breed their baby is that unless they received papers stating he/she is purebred, their precious one probably has a very large family tree with lots of branches and limbs on it. American Shorthairs, according to our resident breed expert, Harvey, are pretty rare. Your friend probably meant "domestic shorthair" or "DSH". You can visit the Cat Fancier's Association's website at www.cafainc.org and look for cats who may resemble Spock. But we always tell our Catster friends to enjoy their kitty babies for who they are and not to worry if they aren't just "one" breed. Our friend Oscar J. Cat always said that he is far too interesting to be contained by "just" one kind of breed! Purrs!

Harvey

American Shorthairs were developed from Domestic Short Hairs, and are a recognized breed; DSHs are moggies. ASs have very distinctive facial features and, like Spock, are characterized by beautifully demarked class tabby markings (swirls instead of stripes)(although they come in solid colors as well). In cat show lingo, Spock is a red classic tabby. Tabby refers to the markings and is not a breed. Red is the cat fancy's way of saying orange. There is a slight possibility, because of Spock's beautiful markings, that he has some AS blood, but I have seen other DSHs of indeterminate genetic origin with similar markings, so I rather doubt it. Anyway, you've got a great looking cat there! I have four red tabby Maine Coons right now, although one is eventually going to find a new home. One of them has markings resembling Spock's, and I'm pretty sure HE doesn't have any AS blood in him, as he's a pedigreed cat. Great name, BTW!

Harvey answered on 8/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer