Anyone have suggestions for alternative food options to Royal Canin Urinary SO Cat food?

Back in February one of my cats was diagnosed with having crystals in her bladder making it painful for her to urinate. My vet prescribed Royal Canin Urinary SO dry food and informed me this is the food I should be feeding all three of my cats from now on. Her urinary issues have seemed to be cleared up but I have been experiencing side effects with the food. Every couple of weeks or so, my cats seem to be getting diarrhea and soft stool issues. It is not usually at the same time but seems to be occurring more frequently. I plan on contacting my vet as well but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue after switching their cat to this diet. Besides the occasional diarrhea my cats have been acting healthy and active. I also wanted to ask those whose pets were on this diet, what alternatives to this cat food are available? I understand most recommend an all wet food diet but my cats need to at least have both. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Lola on Jun 19th 2012 Tagged urinaryso, catfood, sickness in Pet Food

Answers

If you'd like to have a conversation and share opinions and ideas on feeding your cat, Catster has a "Forum" group for you. Click on the orange bar that says "Community" on it, select "Forums" and find the food forum on that page. You will not be limited to 1,000 characters and will be able to have a good conversation with people about what to feed your kitties and their experiences. I was once a part of the longest running forum thread on Catster. It was FUN!

Sparky

Our cat Sparky's been on this food for years now and loves it. No diarrhea but we did switch him from the wet food (which they recommend more) to the crunchy formula. The only side effect was he ballooned up and we have him on the low calorie formula which seems to be ok.

Sparky answered on 6/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer