Bella

Any tips for introducing my 10 week old kitten to my parent's dog, I want them to get along when I go home

My family has a bichon and I really need her and my kitten to get along whenever I go home so I don't have to keep my little baby in my room.

Asked by Bella on Oct 20th 2009 Tagged kitten, dog in Socialization

Answers

Cats and dogs are not natural enemies, but you still need to do a patient and careful intro. Set up a baby gate across the doorway of your room and cut a Bella-sized hole (but not a Bicon sized one) in the plastic mesh. If the dog gets a little too "intense", then Bella has an escape. Keep Bella in the room for a few days untll the dog is used to this "interloper". When the dog goes out, let Bella into the house so she can scope out the best hiding places if Dog chases her. Keep the dog on a leash during the first few intros. Don't yell at the dog, but be kind, or he will associate the kitten with yelling and punishment. No unsupervised playtimes until you are sure you can trust them together. Even a small kitten will scratch when it feels threatened, and Dog will learn quickly!