Koda

Am I getting enough to eat or is something else wrong?

My name is Lincoln and I was adopted about two months ago. I love my new place and family but I act like I'm starving all the time. I whine and whine and whine by the food bowl constantly. When my mom took me to the vet when she first got me, they gave me tape worm pills, just in case. But I am still acting like I am hungry all the time! I get fed Orijen dry cat food and am fed by the directions on the bag. I weigh about 8 lbs and am about a year so it says I need 1/2 cup daily. I get 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 at night. But I still am obsessed with eating! I even chew open food left out such as bread so mom had to put everything in cupboards. Mom is worried she isn't feeding me enough. Maybe I am younger than the vet thought and need more food? Or maybe something else is medically wrong? Or do I just have a "hungry" personality? Mom might just be used to my big brother Ragdoll cat, Koda, being so easy going. I don't know! It just seems like something is not right.

Asked by Koda on Jan 23rd 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Don't worry, there is probably nothing wrong with little Lincoln. However, dry food is high in carbs and does not make your cat feel "full". I'm surprised your vet didn't tell you this. My cat does the same thing and my vet told me to feed her a premium grain free diet of only canned food. I chose Wellness grain free, as it comes in a variety of flavors - she loves every one! She does still act hungry at times, but I blame it on boredom (just like people). She will actually try to chew through the cat food bags of the cat food I feed my feral cats. It's nuts, so I know what you're going through. I feed her 3 times a day and she weighs 16 lbs. She is a larger cat and is about 6 or 7 years old. Your cat may need a little more food, and I would definitely switch to can food, as it is higher in protein. Dry food has too many carbs. Keep that in mind when you are purchasing food for kitty. If you do decide to change foods, do it gradually over 7 to 10 days. Good luck with kitty

my opinion is that you leave dry food out the hole
day and see what happens

I don't think that's enough food. I am free fed. My dry food is left out 24/7. Mommy also gives me a little wet food twice a day, plus treats. Greenies & GNC cat treats are my personal favorites.