Benji

Am I a Wegie Cat?

I've had Benji since July, and it has just come to light that he may be a NFC. I named him Benji, short for Benjamin, because as a kitten, he looked like a little old man with the hairy ears. At about 1-yo, he is 12 lbs, extremely fluffy, especially in the "mane" and tail, extremely affectionate, and the most intelligent cat I've ever seen. He even plays fetch. Looking at pictures of other Wegies, his coloration and facial markings (The M and the markings on his cheeks) seem to be pretty consistent with other NFCs. And I constantly have people ask me if he's a Maine Coon. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Asked by Benji on Mar 25th 2010 in Norwegian Forest Cat

Answers

Welcome to Catster, Benji & Furmily! Although, if you don't have papers certifying that Benji is a purbred, he's probably what our friend Leila, Chibi and Harvey's mom, a breeder of Maine Coons calls a "naturally occuring" NFC. I understand that to mean that on Benji's family tree, there are probably some NFC sitting on a limb or branch very close by. Although my little Brat Boy, Izzie, has to be 80% Maine Coon, he does have some characteristics (also has an "M" on his head) that would count him out as a purebred MC. Izzie was also about 12lbs. at a year old and now he's topping 15lbs. at almost 3 yrs. And from watcing "Cats 101" on Animal Planet, I've learned that most cats are breed crossovers. Whatever kitties are sitting on the branches of Benji's family tree, he is a very handsome cat and probably the "apple" of his mom's eye!

Harvey

Hmm, that's a hard one. I've only seen purebred NFCs at cat shows, so don't know what a mix would look like. NFCs have smaller, more widely spaced ears, triangular heads, and more pointed muzzles than MCs. Benji has a pronounced muzzle that suggests MC, but his "neckless" look and apparently rather short tail suggest NFC, as does the relatively straight profile. The ear shape and ear setting suggest moggy blood. NFCs and MCs both have almond shaped, obliquely set eyes. The problem is that MCs and NFCs are probably related somehow--perhaps the Vikings brought the Skogkatt to North America, perhaps they brought them to England and they came over with the first settlers and became MCs. See www.cfainc.org for pictures of NFCs. Number 3 is a cat from a breeder I know, and has a fairly developed muzzle. If I had to say, I'd agree with you and say more NFC than MC, although how NFC blood got into the moggy population is a mystery.

Harvey answered on 3/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer