Beau

Am I a Ragdoll or a Himalayan mix? How can you tell?

I was recently adopted, and my former owner described me as a "Ragdoll wannabe." I can't tell my new owner if I was white as a kitten. We found a somewhat good answer on Wiki answers, but I was wondering what you may know.

I look like Mr. Jinx from "Meet the Parents." I wonder if he's my cousin? I'm pretty sure that I didn't have papers to be a purebred though. I am very cuddly and don't mind being brushed, just not my tail. I only weigh about 9 pounds, mostly fluff. I follow mom around most of the time.

Recently I began meowing at night and it sounds like I am crying. I think it is part of my adjustment to my new family.

Asked by Beau on Apr 25th 2009 Tagged ragdoll, himalayan in Breeds

Answers

Kira

It is nearly impossible to say since he is a mix. I would say his nose is too long and his eyes are too narrow to be a Himalayan, but that could be from the mix. Himalayans as well as Ragdolls have cries that are not like normal meows. I have 2 Himmies and I also spent time at a Ragdoll cattery yesterday checking out the breed. Both breeds are born white and begin to develop their colors in the first few weeks. Himmies have thicker longer coats that mat, while ragdolls should have bunny soft non matting hair. Mr Jinx is a Himmie. Most Ragdoll breeders have spay/neuter agreements, but there is still the possibility of one being bred into the general cat population. Although a male ragdoll would normally be much larger than 9 pounds. But I would definitely lean more toward Ragdoll mix than Himmie for Beau.

Kira answered on 4/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Atrus

Your cat really does not look like a seal-point Ragdoll. Besides, 9 lbs would be dismally small for male. It is very unlikely your cat has any Ragdoll blood. Pointed moggies are common, and almost always are a result of some Siamese ancestry (not necessarily recent), at this point it's more of a naturally occuring pattern in the domestic population, not very indicative of any purebred blood.

Ragdolls are a new breed and as such they are almost always sold desexed. They cannot breed with domestics so the chances of mixes are very slim to improbable. Shelters often advertise animals as "mixes" to increase their appeal, but they also have no way to determine a cat's ancestry.

Besides, the cat in Meet the Parents is a Himalayan, but your cat does not really resemble that either, besides the coloring.

Your cat is a moggie that just happens to have a pointed pattern. Your cat -does- need to have papers to be a purebred, but in his case no one who knows Ragdolls would mistake him for one

Atrus answered on 4/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer