Henry (1996-2010)

All the vet recommended foods make me sick. Any suggestions?

I've been trying to feed my cats healthier dry foods, as per Catster and my Vet recommendations. Every time I do the slow switch over, but all these dry foods make my Henry sick, except for "Good life Indoor cat formula" which many have told me isn't the best. Henry isn't a big fan of wet food, and he gets runny poopies if that's all he eats, so removing dry all together isn't an option.

Henry had a bunch of tests done, and the vet just thinks he has a sensitive tummy, especially now that he's older. My vet says to keep trying the higher quality foods until one agrees with him, but I don't think Henry, my wallet, and my carpet, can take all this experimenting much longer.

Is it OK to feed him the cheaper stuff if that's what agrees with him? My other 2 cats seem fine with anything. I'm just thinking my vet wants to make a buck on selling me the brands from his office.

Asked by Henry (1996-2010) on Jan 2nd 2009 Tagged digestive, food in Pet Food

Answers

The "cheaper stuff" is not nutritious and contains a bunch of crap that can lead to cancer and other digestive issues later in life. But if that's the only thing he can eat without trouble, it may be the only choice for him. You should read the labels carefully when choosing cat food. If the first ingredient is not meat and if all you see for meat includeds the word "by products" and not just chicken, turkey, etc, then it really is not a good quality food. If you don't know what half the words in the ingredients list means, then it's probably not good. Good Life doesn't look terrible, but does contain several forms of corn and grains. I would suggest checking out Blue Buffalo (www.bluebuff.com) they have many very good foods for cats and also have a compare tool to check their ingredients against other brands. Innova EVO is also very good but may be too harsh with meat and fiber for his delicate tummy.

I'm all for feeding good quality food, but I think you should feed Henry what makes Henry's tummy happy. If that happens to be Goodlife, so be it.

I feed Oscar J. a Purina food and he's happy, healthy and thriving.

I have the same problem. Right now, two of my cats can only maintain firm stools by eating Science Diet Hairball Control, which provides fiber that counteracts their tendency to have loose bowels. I've had them tested for various things, and one of them had a bacterial infection that could have been causing the diarrhea, but the diarrhea returned after she was off the antibiotic. The vet suggested I try a different diet, but we don't live in the U.S. and don't have the choice in foods that Americans have. The few foods for sensitive gastrointestinal tracts that I tried got the kitty thumbs down (and had no effect on their loose stools). Yes, cheap food doesn't have what it should have, and has too much of what it shouldn't, but if that's all your cat can tolerate, better that than starving to death.

Delilah

I agree with Oscar J. My cats (and dogs) have eaten both grocery store food and the more expensive food from the pet marts and it doesn't seem to make any difference. We've never lost an animal to a diet-related disease, and all my animals get wonderful check-ups and have no fur problems other than fleas in the summer when they get Frontlined monthly. As a matter of fact, on the advice of a groomer, I started feeding Delilah an expensive food and she started to lose her fur. Panicked, I put her back on Purina One and her fur has come back with a glossy, healthy vengence! Whatever you feed, don't just switch food suddenly. Mix the new food in the with old for a week or so to give Henry's tummy a chance to acclimate. Vets do make a profit from the food they sell, but mine stocks Science Diet and she's never insisted that I feed my 6 animals that food.

Delilah answered on 1/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

emmi winans

I feel the food at most stores are full of bugs and are made with inferior ingredients. (most of them) there are healthy, fairly inexpensive, highly digestable foods out there. I heard on the radio a pet (vet) specialist and she recommended LIFE ABUNDANCE CAT FOOD. This stuff is amazing. My one cat, 13 yrs old, slow, lazy, not enjoying life, we switched her to this food and she perked up, smaller stools, eate less to be satisfied and returned to playing like a kitten and lived to be 18. Now my new kitten, now 9 months was raised on this food for about 5 dollars a month. Isn't your cat worth it, also all human grade food, won't find any better. If you live in the Raleigh area, there is a new company called the pet pantry. www.feedyourpets.com, I also heard on radio and also feed this to Emmi, free delivery 15ibs aprox 25 bucks, will last for aprox 4 months or so, only needs 1/2 cup a day to 2/3 cup. Hope this helps..

emmi winans answered on 1/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

dino

you mentioned how experimenting with food is hard on your wallet. try to find a store that is happy to take back foods that don't work for your pet. some may also have samples too. i do think most stores will take food back and give you a refund if your pet doesn't or can't eat it. hope that is helpful. good luck

dino answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer