Ivan

Adult cat eating kitten food...is it bad?

Ivan is 2 yrs old and eating Chelsea's kitten food...and gaining a lot of weight. Besides the weight gain, is it bad for him? I don't know how I can keep him out of her food. I put adult food down for Ivan but he will only eat it if the kitten food is gone. I know Chelsea need the kitten food...she is only 4 months old. Any suggestions?

Asked by Ivan on Dec 12th 2008 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

I used to do that too. I dont believe it will hurt him, but it is much richer and higher in calories than adult food. It will make him gain weight.

Can you feed them in separate rooms? Or put the kitten food somewhere Ivan wont go?

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 12/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Xena

Xena used to do this too! Her favorite was the Royal Canin Baby Cat kitten food and I think she ate more than both my kittens put together. She got pretty fat but for young cats it won't do them any harm and Xena did lose the weight again when the kittens started to eat adult food. I found out about this later but apperently a good approach is to choose one of the high protein/low carb foods like Evo that is suitable for both kittens and adult cats. These tend to make adult cats feel more satisfied and less likely to overeat but provide plenty of calories for hungry kittens and help build lean muscle.

Xena answered on 12/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have kitties from age 9 weeks to almost 2 years and have used a blend of 50% kitten food and 50% cat food in their bowls since Allie turned a year old because I keep adding new babies to the bunch. Nobody is overweight and everybody gets the nutrition they need. I use Royal Canin kitten and Royal Canin persian formula but the same concept would work with any brand. You could also try feeding cat food that comes in a formula for all ages. Innova EVO amd Felidae make food that has all the nutrition for both cats and kittens. If you decide to switch foods, do it gradually or they will get sick. But I really find the blend to be the easiest way to go until everybody is a year old. But besides the weight gain, it won't harm Ivan since it's just until Chelsea is a year old.

Itty Bitty

Eating kitten food won't hurt him,however it does have more calories which may cause him to gain weight which can hurt him.I would suggest getting an all life stages cat food.Some good ones are Evo,Natures Variety instinct,taste of the wild,wellness core and if you would prefer a cat food with grains natural balance (although it has alot of grains,was crumbly and my cats did not like it) good luck!!

Itty Bitty answered on 12/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spike

Since I keep adding kittens to my household too, all the cats have been eating the kitten food. Spike has gotten fat, and Harvey has developed diarrhea, which some of my breeder friends say may be because of the high fat content in the kitten food. Chibi thrives no matter what she eats.

I would advise using a cat food that is suitable for both kittens and adult cats, or feeding them in separate rooms. Free feeding of dry food is ideal for people with busy work schedules (I often don't get home until after midnight), but not necessarily good for cats. Remember, overweight cats are more prone to diseases like diabetes. I'd advise discussing with your vet what you should be feeding Ivan and how many calories he should get per day so that he loses weight but not too quickly, which is dangerous for cats. Having said all that, I haven't followed any of my own advice yet, but keep meaning to in the future!

Spike answered on 12/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer