Sherbet

Adopting stray with micro chip?

So I found a kitty outside, brought him to a vet to check if he is micro chipped, which he was. The vet called the number attached to the chip several times over a week but never received a response. My neighbor apparently lets the cat into her apartment during the winter but otherwise takes no ownership of the cat. I was wondering if anyone know the legality of taking this cat in? Or can point me in the right direction. I just do know if having a micro chip changes things. It seems as though the owner abandoned the poor cat. Plus those horrible people declawed him, he really shouldn't be outside.

Asked by Sherbet on May 13th 2012 Tagged microchip, adoption in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Nika

You might call the microchip company and see if they know.

Nika answered on 5/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm not sure of the legality of the situation but it sounds as though reasonable attempts at locating the previous owners have been made. Your only other option would be to release him back outside with no quarantee he will be rescued by his previous owners. Plus, he's declawed - leaving him somewhat defenseless. In my opinion the cat now belongs to you. Congratulations and thank you for rescuing the poor little guy.