Oliver

Adopting a second cat?

I am considering adopting a second cat, likely another male about Ollie's age. Ollie is a little over a year old (neutered) and incredibly clingy (which I enjoy but fear isn't healthy). I think he would benefit from having a companion but I can't predict how he'd react to such a drastic change. I am worried he might get jealous or think that his home is being invaded. Is it too late (or too soon) to introduce a new cat into our home? I would hate to go forward with the second adoption and for it go horribly wrong. Can anyone relate to this situation and/or offer some advice? Thanks.

Asked by Oliver on Sep 16th 2009 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I have 3 cats, 2 females and 1 male, with polar opposite personalities. The cats I've had are all rescues and Izzie is the only "baby" I've raised. I've had cats ranging in age from 10yrs. to 4 mos. I've always been extremely lucky that my cats have tolerated my animal rescue involvement. When you adopt another cat, go to a reputable shelter or preferably, a rescue organization that fosters its cats in private homes. Describe Ollie to them. He would not do well with an agressive male cat who was rescued off the street. I believe he'd be alright with a kitten of about 6 months or younger, though. He may develope his own self-confidence by having a younger furbling to "order around". Before you adopt, speak with your vet or the adoption coordinator of the rescue. Tell them about Ollie, your home life, your human family, etc. and ask for their guidance. Some will even offer home visits to help with the introductions. They know their cats and can advise you on which wuld fit in your home.

Gracie

I was in your exact situation with Boris, a loving but also somewhat insecure and clingy kitty. A lot of what Izzie said is right on the mark. We ended up getting Gracie to see if it would help with his clinginess.

Advice: try to be matched with a kitten who is not the same as Ollie personality wise, but rather secure and more cat oriented than people oriented. The gender of the kitten will matter far less than having a personality that complements rather than matches Oliver's.

Boris did not like me paying attention to Gracie at first, but she wasn't fazed by his jealousy, and he got over it eventually. It helped to always include him during petting and play sessions with Gracie.

BTW Boris dialed down the clinginess, but he is still very people oriented. That said, Gracie taught him that he doesn't have to have humans around every moment to feel safe. So now he spends a lot of time with us humans because he wants to. It's just part of who he is.

Good luck!

Gracie answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer