Adopted cat not eating or leaving hiding place?

I just adopted an adult male cat on Monday. We adopted him around 5:00 p.m. that day so I know he ate that morning but he hasn't eaten anything since or used his litter box. He is isolated in our bedroom with toys, his litter box, food, and blankets but as far as I can tell he hasn't really left from under the bed. If we go to pet him while he is down there he doesn't run away or meow. His eyes aren't runny so I know he isn't sick... I'm just worried about him not eating. Should I try to pull him out or leave him? I've been calmly talking to him and blinking slowly and he just stares at me. He has shown no signs of coming out. I know he could be eating a few pieces here and there but I'm getting worried because he isn't really moving at all.. Any tips?

Asked by Member 1156162 on Feb 20th 2013 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Joey

Congratulations on your new baby! You don't mention if you have other animals in the house - if you do it's possible that he senses them and is just taking longer to settle down. Your plan of setting him up in his own room is perfect - he probably just needs more time. If it were me - I wouldn't reach for him - offering him a hand to sniff is okay but don't try and get him out from under the bed. Try a trail of cookies - a couple of treats where he can see them - leading him out from under the bed. This way he is getting something to eat and can get a glimpse of his new surroundings. When he comes out just watch him and see what he does - maybe offer him a little play time with a wand toy and some more cookies. Unless you feel he is in distress and needs to see the vet - just give him a little more time.

Joey answered on 2/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When my Mommy first adopted me, I mostly hid under the bed for a week. Cats need time to adjust to a new home & new people. I'd suggest leaving him alone & let him come to you. As for him not using the litterbox, are you sure he's not using the bathroom somewhere else in the house? That's the only thing that really concerns me. If he hasn't used the bathroom, he's gotta be totally miserable. If he's a longhaired cat, he may be blocked up with hairballs. He might actually be sick somehow & you aren't aware of it. I think that perhaps you might consider taking him to the vet to be on the safe side.