Abby

abby and bella have such long tummy hairs! why?

abby and bella are both adopted shelter cats, and are domestic shorthairs, but have THE longest stomach hair. my boyfriend jokes that we should braid it! they are not biological sisters, so i can't see it being a littermate thing. it doesn't bother us at all, we just were wondering why!

Asked by Abby on Jan 29th 2010 Tagged tummy, hair in Home Grooming

Answers

Chances are very good that both your girls, although they probably are not sisters, both have a big family tree with lots of limbs and branches on it. They could have any of the long-haired cat breeds in their backgrounds. If you go to www.cfa.org, which is the cat fanciers website, you can scroll through photos of all known cat breeds to see if your kitties resemble any or many of them. It's an interesting journey! I just discovered this week, courtesy of a friend here on Catster, that a cat I've had for three or four years is probably part Persian!

This is a really lame answer, but...First of all, we need more photos. Your cats look like generic domestic short hairs, but your description of the long stomach fur makes me think that there may be Maine Coon in their genetic mix. Maine Coons are interesting in that some are VERY shaggy, and some are almost short haired. But long stomach fur is a defining characteristic. Looking at your cats' photos, I would guess (and this is a totally wild guess) that the ear set suggests some Siamese genetic heritage (not uncommon in moggies) and that the oblique, almond-shaped eyes could be evidence of Maine Coon heritage. But this is just a guess. You could consider taking your cats to a cat show as Household Pets, and let a cat show judge give an expert opinion.