A stray kitten adopted us! What should I do?

There has been a kitten in our backyard for three days now. My husband has been feeding it and it stays there day and night. Every time we open the door it tries to come inside but I'm not sure I want to! I'm not the pet kind but my kids are in love with the poor thing! What should I do?
It has no collar and I'm pretty sure it has no owner cause I used to see a pregnant collar-less cat around some time ago. I don't mind feeding it but I want my children to be safe around it. Also how do I keep it outside? No other cat had ever tried to come inside the house even though they usually walk through our yard and the door is usually left open.
I appreciate any help. I have never cared for a pet but I don't want to leave it to starve. Also, I live in Mexico so animal control is not a viable option. Please excuse any errors in my English. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1112456 on May 24th 2012 Tagged kitten, stray, children in Other Adoption & Rescue

Best Answer

I agree with the other posters... If you don't want him around - stop feeding him.

However, cats make wonderful pets! If you do decide to keep him, you will need to have him checked out by a vet. He will need vaccines, FeLV and FIV testing, de-worming, flea-prevention, and be neutered.

Cats should be indoor pets. Outdoors is very dangerous and outdoor cats tend to have a very short life expectancy.

He will need a litter box, litter, litter scoop, dishes, the best food you can afford, scratching post, carrier, some toys.

If you are unable or unwilling to make this commitment and take responsibility for this kitten, then stop feeding him. If you decide to take him in, cats are wonderful pets!

PS - your English is excellent!

Linus (Dreamboat #72a) answered on May 26th.

Answers

If your not willing to see it thru, then dont feed or take care of it. your fist step would be to make a vet appointment and get it checked out so your children will be safe. Cats are rewarding and will give you alot of pleasure. you need to make sure that if you do keep it, that you get the cat fixed. Getting the cat fixed is not only important for keeping the population down, but for her health.

Sorry, but the first time your husband, out of the kindess of his heart, put down a bowl of food for this guy, you became responsible for it. If it hangs around that much and come in, it's probably a stray. It obviously wants to stay with you. Children always think baby animals are "cute" and want to keep them. But if you are not willing to train your children to help with his care and if they are not old enough, then you would be doing this cat a great disservice by giving into their pleas and keeping it. The responsibility of this cat will fall upon you in every way. That doesn't mean that taking the cat in is a bad thing. Cats are much easier than dogs to care for, but still need proper health care, altering and feeding. Outside cats have a short life and you may want to consider keeping him in. If you continue to feed the cat outside, you will not only draw him but every other stray cat in your neighborhood. As Guest posted, if you don't want him around, stop feeding him.