8 month old adopted kitten attacks all our other cats but adores humans. what can we do?

Four months ago a stray tortie kitten adopted us. My roommate named her Misha, took her to the vet to get fixed (shots, etc), and put her in the bedroom - away from our other cats until she healed. Misha absolutely adores humans but HATES our other cats! Any time she catches sight of them she hisses,and attacks if they come into the room. Less than a minute after the door to the bedroom is closed with no cats in the room she will be back to flopping and adoring any human in the bedroom. We have tried feliway collars and diffusers, distracting with play, swapping territories to exchange scents etc, placing Misha in a carrier and taking her into the main room (ended before it had a chance)... Our other cats are stressed because they cannot visit us at night. We don't want to give Misha up but most of our other cats are terrified we have to keep her isolated in the bedroom to have any peace. Also she has no desire to leave the room. Please help, this is breaking our hearts

Asked by Member 1140262 on Nov 11th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

It's hard to understand how a kitten could be so aggressive without knowing why. While Misha was on her own, she probably had to fight to survive and eat. I understand that Torties have what's called a "Tortie 'Tude" and they can be somewhat hard to handle. If you want to keep Misha, I think you're best bet would be to work with your vet. They can counsel you on behavior therapy. Since she's so aggressive, I'm not sure a spray bottle or soda can with pennies in it would even work, or if it would make it worse. It's possible they may even want to prescribe a short course of anti-anxiety meds. I wish you much luck with Misha. I know living in an animal war zone is not fun.