3 year old neutered cat keeps going outside box (pee and poop). What do we do? Have tried everything.

The first time we noticed inappropriate peeing it was when he was sick. He gets hot spots every summer due to environmental allergies (we have been to the vet enough to be sure on this, and we understand when he is sick, he will pee on things.

We also noticed he will pee or poop outside the box if the box gets too dirty.

Most of the time when he pees inappropriately, it is on my side of the couch. Never on my boyfriend's side. Now we leave a tinfoil barrier on the couch when we are out/in bed, and he hasn't been peeing on the couch.

Well, this morning his box was clean and he is healthy, but he peed on some towels on the kitchen table, then pooped on the welcome mat next to my shoes.

We are about to have a hurricane. Does weather affect indoor cats so much that this could be the cause?

We have been cleaning the spots with Urine eliminator for cats. I have read so many articles. How do we stop this for good?

I love my cat like a child, but I cant take all of this piss everywhere.

Asked by Member 1138091 on Oct 29th 2012 Tagged inappropriateelimination, weatherandcats, poop, urine in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

I understand your frustration. Delilah will occasionally potty in my tub and I've had to remove the throw rugs from the bathroom. Izzie will spray when he sees the local outdoor cat in our yard. Cats stop using the box for a few reasons. You mentioned he will not use the box if it has not been cleaned. That is a cue to scoop more often and scrub the box and add fresh litter once a week or so. If you have the space, add another box. Weather can affect animal's behavior, but usually they will hide. If he is peeing on furniture and you are "surface cleaning", his scent could still remain in the pillow and that's why he's returning to that spot. If it continues, keep in contact with your vet and ask for their advice.

Okay, silly quetion... Do you have a litterbox with a lid on it? My parents' cat kept going everywhere else but in the litterbox and one day it hit them.... He was too big to get in it!! If you do have a lid, try removing it. Also try re-training him. Place him in the litterbox and move his front paws in it so he knows this is where he goes. Then for the next little bit keep doing that, keep the litterbox super clean, and keep nothing on the floor he can pee on (towels, clothes, etc etc) Also see if there's been any changes or anything that would upset him: New cat, new person, new house, spending less time with him, etc etc. I hope it works out!!