1yr female cat,not spayed,not sick, peeing everywhere.tried suggestions about cleaning.Think getting spayed will help?

This problem just started in the past few months since she started going into heat. It started with her peeing on my sons bed, then my daughters, now mine. I have another cat and this 1 year old has lived with us since she was 8 weeks old. Litter box Clean, no new food, no new litter... nothing has changed. I have an appointment to get her spayed, but I'm not sure that is going to fix anything. I have bought Nature's Miracle and tried so many suggestions. My husband thinks we need to get rid of her and I don't want to give up yet, but she is really making it hard for me to convince my husband otherwise. Does anyone think spaying will stop this behavior?

Asked by Member 1019400 on Jan 15th 2011 Tagged peeingonbeds in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Yes, spaying will help stop this behavior. An unspayed female cat will "mark" her territory to attract male cats. Also, is the cat getting locked in the bedroom with the door shut? If so, you need to make sure that she doesn't get locked in the bedroom. Are your kids old enough to realize that if she has to go to the bathroom, she will use their bed or elsewhere if she can't get out. I would definitely get her spayed because she will eventually get out of the house and come back pregnant! Then you will have an unspayed cat and kittens to deal with. That will be a big expense. Please get her fixed NOW!

Yes, spaying should help with the problem in addition to being healthier overall for her. Spayed cats are at less risk for certain cancers and it eliminates the risk of uterine infections. And eliminates the annoyance for you of having her in heat. I would also have the vet check to be sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection. That can also lead to peeing in inappropriate places. Also be sure that your other cat is not intimidating her from using the litterbox and that is in a quiet secure place where she can get to it easily and doesn't feel threatened when she is using it. Since you have 2 cats, you should also have at least 2 litterboxes. There is no way to "assign" a specific one per cat, but there should be more than 1 available.

Yes, cats in heat do sometimes mark with urine. If your other cat is also female, even if she's spayed, there may be territorial issues now that the younger cat has entered puberty. Spaying is likely to solve this problem, although not 100% guaranteed to do so. If money is a problem, ask your local shelter or animal society for cheap options. Please don't let your husband make you get rid of her--if she goes to a shelter, it's almost certain death. If you must rehome her, do it yourself with someone you can trust. And do spay her before she has kittens, because your husband will NOT like the responsibility of having to find homes for the wee ones. The next time you get a female cat, do go for an early spay--before 5 or 6 months. If the cat weighs enough, this is a safe procedure, and it's healthier to spay before a cat has gone into heat. Also, a vet will not want to spay your cat when she's undergoing a heat cycle, so you'll have to be careful with timing. Good luck!

Ask your husband if he will give you and your kitty a little more time, to see if she will stop marking after she's spayed. Also, ask your vet for suggestions on how to stop this. I have begun using "Zyme Away", which is available over the Internet to remove pet urine stains in my home. When you use an enzymatic cleaner, no matter what it is, (you can also use "oxy" detergent from the grocery), you must let it set on the stain for at least an hour to give the enzymes a chance to digest the urine. It's not like a regular household cleaner than you pour on and scrub up. It's also possible that if she is marking on beds, the odor has gotten into the mattress. She will continue to use these areas as long as she detects her odor there. If you cannot afford new mattresses, you can buy a plastic matress cover for the old ones to stop her from smelling herself there. Please tell your husband that when a cat is "gotten rid" of for marking inside, the chances of it being rehomed are very slim.