14 year old kitty grieving the loss of her lifelong 15 year dog. Constant pacing, meowing, destroying things

Grace is just short of 14. My bichon, her constant companion since Grace was a kitten died several months ago and Grace is a different cat. An escape artist, constant loud meowing, and destroying anything she can knock off a table. Vet wants to run all kinds of tests which I cannot afford. I've tried rescue remedy, feliway, extra attention, but nothing works. She doesn't want to be held. Help. She is literally bouncing off the walls. She's to old and too onery to be adoptable. She is also driving the neighbors nuts with her constant howling. She can be heard through closed windows. Is there a for real medication that will help or is my only option putting her to sleep. She is certainly not much pleasure to have aroung anymore and she keeps me up at night, prowling and howling.

Asked by Member 1141250 on Nov 18th 2012 Tagged grief in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your dog and also for the trauma you and Grace are going through. Animals grieve much like humans do. Sometimes the grief is so severe the animal almost suffers a breakdown of sorts. If your vet suspects some sort of physical or health issues, you might tell them that at the age of 14 (98 in human years) you don't want to invest a lot of money in a diagnoses. Ask them if there are 1 or 2 tests and/or meds they recommend and then if they could work out a payment plan for you. At Grace's age, you are more or less doing maintenance on her and not looking for a miracle cure. Explain to your neighbors what's going on and that you are trying to help your cat. Grace may need your reassurance and kindness and as much extra attention as you can give her. I know you must be exasperated with her, but cats are creatures of habit and don't understand life changes. You may also want to clear off your tables for a while to cut down on breakage, Good luck!