GO!

Going from Canned to Raw - Fagin's the Kitten Overlord's Journey

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Fagin

Kitten Overlord- Demands Moar- Wand Toys!

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '12 10:17pm PST 
Below are the chronicles of weaning my cat to raw food. I thought someone else may find the things I found out useful too, so I wanted to make a thread on it. I have no idea how long his RAW conversion will take, but I'll try to only post relevant and interesting changes.

Fagin is a kitten - only three months old, and pretty flexible when it comes to eating. He prefers canned food over dry (not surprising), and after doing a lot of research, I concluded I wanted to start feeding him raw food.

Since he's a kitten, I figured no problem. Right?

Well, it's not as easy as I expected.

Step one was simply handing the BARF over. Yes, BARF. Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. Aussies love calling their raw stuff BARF. Don't as me why, just go with it.

Patty down, he sniffed it once, then turned up his nose. Denied his perfectly good Roo meat! I was surprised. (And if anyone's curious, this is what I feed him: http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com.au/product-view/kangaroo-barf-for-cats -38)

Then I thought - maybe it's because it's roo? I only give him chicken and turkey canned (can't find rabbit premix). So I took a step back and mixed half of the patty with half of his old canned food. Success. Ate it up like there was no tomorrow.

Same thing for breakfast, then I tried just the RAW again. He did the same thing - sniffed it, a few licks, then nothing.

Kitten overlord has me puzzling whether because of what's in canned food that's making him reluctant, or if it's because it's roo type. I'm going to switch over to turkey type next, since he's had that in his canned. I'm hoping I can get him to have both kangaroo and turkey, although since I know they have turkey and rabbit, I much prefer to use those...

We'll see, I guess!

In the meantime, kitten overlord demands more cuddles.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Dec 28, '12 12:48pm PST 
Fagin, slow down and give yourself a break! Not all cats convert to raw overnight. If he's eating it mixed with his canned, take your time and just start reducing the amount of canned very slowly. You'll get there.
[notify]

Fagin

Kitten Overlord- Demands Moar- Wand Toys!

Purred: Fri Dec 28, '12 1:38pm PST 
That's what I did, if you see above. I don't think it's a rush to simply experiment and see if he'd take a bite solo, then mixing it. That's what I did...
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Sun Dec 30, '12 11:55am PST 
I remember when my mommy did this for me! Mom had to force me to eat the canned when she mixed all of it together because I was going too fast on RAW. RAW RAW RAW! It is so yummy! Canned food is so yucky! But even going slow, since I was a kitten I had real trouble digesting bone and it backed me up really good, to the point I was pooping just semi clumps of bone, and it hurt. frown Mom was right, keeping it slow and steady. She tried bone again with me, she even pulled out a bunch of bone in the premixed raw, and I still couldn't digest it. So she is going to wait until I am a year old in 6 more months and try bone in again with me. A lot of vets will say don't go raw until kittens are 1yr old, but me and mommy agree it is a personal decision. I do way better on it, even though right now I get ground meat and heart with all my powder vitamins and minerals.

Good luck Fagin! I can't wait to read more.
[notify]