GO!

Why's Royal Canin Bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '12 11:30am PST 
Hello,

So I know Royal Canin isn't that amazing of a cat food, if anyone could list the reasons why so I can show a friend to get her to switch. It would help to include scientific evidence and such, maybe a bit about why each ingredient is bad, Thanks!

Here are the ingredients: Corn, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, wheat gluten, wheat, chicken meal, chicken fat, powdered cellulose, natural flavors, soy protein isolate, chicory, fish oil, vegetable oil, and then the rest is added vitamins and such.

Edited by author Mon Oct 15, '12 11:32am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:38am PST 
Lots of commercial brands of dry food is bad for cats, nost just Royal Canin. Point your friend to Catinfo.org to read up on proper cat nutrition and why dry food is so bad. Dry food is a cheap convenince item for pet owners. Like junk loaded unhealthy tv dinners instead of a good homecooked meal made with fresh ingredients.

For one thing, cats are obligate carnivores and the NEED meat in their diet. Meat needs to be the number 1 ingredient in a cat's food. In the Royal Canin food you listed, chicken meal is the 6th ingredient. The further down the list an ingredient is means that there is not very much of that ingredient in the food. Chicken meal is ok but not a great source of meat.

Wheat gluten is an allergen to many cats.

Anything plant based, like corn and rice, are just cheap fillers.

Powdered cellulose is basically powdered wood pulp. Yuck confused

I think a good web site to learn more about various pet food ingredients is called Truthaboutpetfood.com or something like that thinking
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 4:37pm PST 
Here is the web site: http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/

There's a list somewhere that explains what common pet food ingredients really are thinking
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 6:07pm PST 
For these reasons: Corn, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, wheat gluten, wheat. The first 5 ingredients should include meat.

www.catinfo.org is a good resource if you want to teach your friend about cat nutrition.
[notify]

Spirit

I'm a believer! - The kitty condo- is mine

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:07am PST 
know what i don't understand? royal canin, hills, these prescription foods...the ingredients are not good, but yet they are good for our health? Sorry...I was diagnosed with CRF and I hate that I have to eat it. I have eaten Wellness and now to change to Hills or Royal Canin doesn't sit well with me.

I will say this...my beagle sister had to eat Royal Canin for urinary tract issues and she never got another UTI. She will be the first to say it helped, but I just don't understand why these manufacturers of prescription food don't put in better ingredients....oh and it's expensive too! shock
[notify]